COVID-19Uncategorized February 20th, 2021
MTI membership presents this list of items for MMSD Superintendent Dr. Jenkin’s consideration. We submit that these items and concerns need to be addressed to further ensure a safe Phased Reentry for all students, families, and staff. We are committed to build a stronger sense of unity and trust across the MMSD School Community, eliminating the intentional, and antiquated racial and social disparities existing in our City. We are prepared to engage in Collaborative Problem Solving with MMSD administration and any other groups necessary to accomplish our shared vision around safety
MTI has been advocating at all levels for every staff person to get the vaccine with a priority on those currently working in person. Dr. Jenkins and MMSD agrees on this as well.
New groups of people will be eligible for the #COVID19_WI vaccine tentatively beginning March 1.
Online Covid-19 Resources
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
On March 27, 2020 the $2-trillion Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act was signed into law. The bill is a good start and, while not perfect, does address many needs of our students, educators, and schools. It is intended to help stabilize workers, families, and the economy during the COVID-19 public health crisis and is the third relief package Congress has passed during the coronavirus pandemic. The National Education Association (NEA) is also advocating for additional stimulus funds in a fourth package.
|CARES Act - One Time Payment||CARES Act - Student Loans FAQ||CARES Act - Unemployment Insurance FAQ|
|CARES Act - ESSA Waivers FAQ||3-26-20 Families First Coronavirus Response Act - Leave of Absence and Pay Options for MMSD Employees|
Report Workplace Safety Concerns
Students are at the center of everything that we do. If you are working “in person” with students and you witness COVID-19 safety violations established by MMSD, we encourage you to contact MTI and your site supervisor immediately. If you see something, say something. We are all working under unique circumstances and are only human. Kindly remind coworkers to put on their mask and let’s maintain clean and safe work environments together. Report Unsafe Workplace Conditions here.
United Way Information for Help, to Donate or to Volunteer
- Read MTI’s press release regarding the March 18 donation towards the COVID-19 Emergency Fund.
- Make your own online donation to support the Dane County COVID-19 Emergency Fund. The Fund is administered through the United Way of Dane County and the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County.
- Need help? Dial 2-1-1 for assistance from United Way.
Contacting MTI during School Closures
In order to help us expedite the high volume of questions while working remotely, we encourage MTI members to:
- Visit the online resources listed on MTI’s website.
- If you still have questions/concerns, send them to MTI staff and leadership at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For urgent matters, contact MTI directly at (608) 257-0491 for assistance.
- While MTI Offices will be closed to members and visitors for the foreseeable future, we are committed to continue to provide members with the advocacy and support they deserve.
MMSD Staff Compensation Concerns & Unemployment Information for unpaid members
Answer: If this closure is not during a customary break period, or extends longer than the customary break period, individuals may be eligible for unemployment benefits if they meet the monetary and weekly eligibility criteria.
- Apply for Unemployment Compensation
- FAQ on Unemployment Compensation
- Union Plus Member Resources Responding to COVID-19
- AFL-CIO Survival Guide to Unemployment
- Unemployment Benefits for School Year Employees (5-21-20)
If members have Unemployment questions after reviewing these sites. Contact MTI staff.
Solidarity Fund Loan Available for Members
MTI has taken immediate action to deploy union resources to provide financial support to members impacted by the pandemic. Commencing immediately, the MTI Solidarity Fund is available to provide no interest loans of up to $1,000 for MTI members who suffer a financial impact due to the pandemic.
To honor social distancing, we encourage members to complete the application form online and email it to email@example.com. Please note that the signature sections still need to be filled out. Call or email the MTI office at firstname.lastname@example.org and 608.257.0491 with questions.